Upgrading from Norman Virus Control to Norman Endpoint Protection
End of Life October 2014
Norman Virus Control (NVC) is a very old version of our antivirus software and end of life is set to October 2014. We urge all customers to upgrade to the successor Endpoint Protection as soon as possible, and at the latest within October 2014.
End of life page
Uninstall Norman Virus Control manually and install Endpoint Protection
1. Uninstall Norman Virus Control manually (before Endpoint Protection is installed)
- Open the Start menu from the system tray on your computer's desktop (bottom left corner) and select Control Panel
- From the Control Panel select Add or Remove Programs or Programs/Uninstall a program according to your operating system.
- A list of installed programs appears. Find Norman Virus Control in the list and select to Remove/Uninstall it.
- Follow the wizard instructions to complete the removal. Once you are done you will be asked to restart your computer.
- When restarted open My Computer and select the C drive (usually called Local Disk (C:)). Locate the Norman folder, right-click the folder and select Delete.
- Go to Program Files and delete the Norman folder if it is there.
You can as an alternative use the stand alone uninstaller delnvc5.exe found under \norman\nvc\bin. To do a silent uninstall, please run the command delnvc5.exe /quiet
2. Install Endpoint Protection (after Norman Virus Control has been uninstalled)
- Make sure you have your Endpoint Protection license key at hand.
- Download and save the Norman Endpoint Protection installer to your computer: Download Endpoint Protection
- Run the installer. Usually you would select to download the installer for stand-alone computers. Also, you need to select between the 32-bit and 64-bit installer. To find out which one of them you need, click here: How to find out if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system
- Follow the installation wizard to complete the Endpoint Protection installation. A few minutes after the installation is done you will be prompted to restart your computer.
- Restart your computer. Endpoint Protection should now be successfully installed.
If you are running Norman Virus Control in a distributed setup where all your Norman clients are reporting to a central Norman distribution server, you should consider setting up a Norman Endpoint Manager server in your network after you have uninstalled the old version from all computers. Please refer to the Administrator's Guide for more information.
Relevant support documentation
If you still need assistance, please contact your local support department:
Datum gepubliceerd:: 2014.02.11 Datum geupdate: 2014.02.11